I read an article last week that gave a list of proven foods to aid in boosting mood.
Avocado was the first on the list.
As someone who is prone to anxiety, I decided I would be cool with eating more avocado. (Who wouldn’t?)
Mostly because it’s delicious, and also because if it can help me feel less anxious, I’m ALL over that.
Anxiety sucks. I’m normally a pretty chipper person, but every now and then I get spells of feeling anxious and down.
It happens, it’s life, and I know EVERY girl out there has felt this way at least once in their life.
Luckily exercise helps with anxiety and depression (It’s definitely a MAJOR help for me.) But diet can also play a big role.
Why does avocado boost your mood?
Because it tastes like a fiesta!
Just kidding. (But I’m sure that is part of it.)
Avocado helps boost your mood by balancing hormones in the body.
Avocado contains tryptophan, folate, and vitamin B, all of which help to make serotonin in the body.
Serotonin has several functions in the body, including mood regulation. Low serotonin levels are directly related to depression.
You know what is also related to depression? Too much junk food.
Junk Food Can Increase Your Depression Risk
A study done at the University of London found that people who have a diet high in processed foods were 60% more likely to have depression.
That means eating regular brownies all the time isn’t a great idea.
I’m a pretty big fan of brownies (it’s my favorite right after cookies) so I wanted to try out a healthy, less processed avocado brownie recipe.
Packed with healthy complex carbs, fats, and protein, these avocado protein brownies are sure to make your day a little brighter and your brain a lot happier!
Healthy Avocado Protein Brownies
- 1 egg
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 c raw honey
- 1/4 c melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Dash of Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 cup (more or less) unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 1 scoop chocolate organic protein
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1/3 c dark chocolate chips
- Blend avocado with egg, coconut oil, honey, almond milk, and brown sugar. Make sure there are no clumps. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add coconut flour, cocoa powder, and protein powder. Add more almond milk if the batter is too thick.
- Gently mix in chocolate chips.
- Grease 8X8 baking dish and pour in brownie batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cut into 12 squares and enjoy!